Thursday, January 8, 2009

Give Me a Break!

I was listening to Denny More's morning show on Thunder 104.5 yesterday and there was a discussion about Virginia Governor Tim Kaine's support of a ban on smoking in restaurants and bars. Several callers dialed in and shared their opinions.

I felt compelled to contribute.  The bottom line is this... Is this really the most pressing issue facing the Commonwealth at this time? I think not.  I think Governor Kaine needs to worry about our current economic situation and avoid supporting ways to negatively impact businesses. Seriously, at a time when many small businesses are already struggling, he decides now is the time to hit the restaurant and bars with an action that could impact their business even more?  Wake up Governor Kaine, this is just plain STUPID!!!  I have a very low tolerance for stupid and this pegs the meter! 

I have seen numerous food and coffee establishments in our area close recently and don't think it is right for the government to even consider actions that would aid in the closing of more. This tells me that Governor Kaine might not be all that in touch with what's going on in his state. Maybe he's more interested in chairing the DNC?

The decision for smoking or not at a privately owned restaurant or bar should be left up to the individual business owner not the government.

It should be noted that I am not a smoker.  What I am is an American!  I believe in the individual freedoms that we enjoy and that make our nation the greatest on the planet!  I refuse to sit back quietly and watch government try to chip away at these!  

Just Believe...


No comments: